Holidays give a lot of chances to come together with colleagues, friends, co-workers, and family, share good news and enjoy together. While social occasions are festive gatherings, they also give enough opportunity for injuries to happen – especially when you consider varying levels of recklessness, carelessness, foul weather, medication, alcohol or any of them all.

If you host a gathering, and someone got injured either in or on your property or afterward, are you held responsible – either wholly or partially – for their injuries? Can you be sued?

If you got injured whether during the social gathering or after which was caused of total negligence of the host or other actions, can you go after a compensation against the host or hostess to preserve your rights as a person, go after the claims you deserve and restore your life?

The answer to the two questions will be based on the instances – and specifically – on how the law addresses them.

The Dram Law allows people who have been personally injured by an intoxicated person in order to seek damages from the alcohol vendor, provided that:

your injuries happened on the property of the vendor and were caused by his or her negligence or,

your injuries happened off the property of the vendor and he or she knew that the buyer was already noticeably intoxicated or to a minor individual aged below 21 years old.

In addition to that, the Dram Law is exclusively applicable only to vendors who have the license to serve or sell alcohol. However, hosts of social gatherings who provide alcoholic drinks are generally not held responsible under the law if the guest inflicts another individual.

Having said that, a compensation may be brought up against the host if he or she gives alcohol to a

 When can an alcohol-related injury compensation be filed?

Since a claim from an alcohol-related injury is a civil case, it should be filed directly by the injured party. Additionally, that the liability of the responsible party is only limited to monetary damages. Which means, the responsible party can be held liable for acts such as pain and suffering, lost value, lost wages and benefits, property damage, and medical bills.

It is very crucial to know that the primary complaint in alcohol-related injury case should be filed within a span of 2 years of the date the accident occurred.

What about other kinds of social event incidents?

Laws pertaining to premises liability depend on a specific nature of the person who got injured. As a matter of fact, there are 3 categories of visitors such as trespasser, business invitee and licensee. In a premises liability lawsuit, a homeowner’s potential liability and duties are variable and dependent on how the injured person is categorized.

A licensee is the one who is on your premises because you have implicitly or expressly allowed him or her to come in regardless of the fact that your premises are not for general public. For instance, one certain individual is a social guest, therefore, he is categorized as a licensee. For more information, we highly recommend that you consult an experienced Colorado Springs personal injury lawyer should these things happen.